The Google Bible to Effective Website SEO
When setting up your website, be sure to implement these standard SEO tips to optimise your website.
This year, I actually walked the talk.
When I first started my business with minimal money I rushed putting together a website. I created a free website from WordPress which provided an overview of my services.
I worked hard on it, but admittedly it wasn’t great – it looked cheap, and I broke my own rules and paid little consideration to SEO.
But I thought it was doing the job it should. You know that people would find me and hire me.
Well the thing is, it wasn’t doing what I needed, in fact, far from it.
I realised that after I decide to invest a little bit more money, time and effort into my website.
I still did the website myself – this time via Square Space – but paid more attention on the look, the copy and most importantly implemented some common SEO tricks.
The results have been unbelievable – I now actually get enquiries weekly.
So, what are search engines looking for?
No doubt Google’s hold onto the mantle of Search Engine King is no darn fluke – so I will concentrate mostly on advice for Google.
Over the years the company has adapted and altered their algorithm to ensure they direct users to the most relevant website for their search enquiry. Certainly, no mean feat with some 644 million active websites in the world.
Now the actual algorithm is a closely held secret, but Google actually lists “providing high-quality content on your pages, especially your homepage” as the most important element.
So while they do list keywords as important they also focus on the most relevant information as well as the the most popular information.
To help you further, I have condensed some of the top tips Google has listed in improving your website SEO.
SEO Website Building Tips
- Create a website that is useful and information rich.
- Build a logical site that is easy to navigate around. Every page should be reachable from at least one static text link. (The less clicks to get to information the better!).
- Use title tags and meta tags in the creation of your pages. What are these? Tags are descriptions of what each page is about. It’s the information that shows up in search engine results.
- Also use heading tags when writing your content as it helps determine the important content on your pages. (This is where you can select the font size through format - ie Heading 1, Heading 2 and so on.)
- When writing tags, headings, URL names or content descriptions use keywords that are related to the content on the page rather than default names such as “new page”.
- Make sure your website is not only mobile friendly, but that your mobile friendly website is recognisable by Google.
SEO Website Writing Tips
- Write content that clearly and accurately describes your topic, business and products.
- When writing try to use words users would type in to search to find your page and include this on your site in clearly written and useful content. Tip: when considering the keywords for your site ensure you are catering for the different levels of knowledge on your topic. For example, those within a particular industry may use acronyms while those with less knowledge may use alternative, better known terms.
- While using keywords is good you need to ensure you produce regular content that is useful for users rather than for search engines. So, what does this mean? Google won’t select your site if you just write your keyword 100 times on the page. I cannot stress enough that your content needs to be user friendly and actually answer the search enquiry of the user.
- Don’t keep duplicating the same content over and over again. Make it different, talk about different subjects, but most importantly provide information people are looking for.
SEO Image Website Tips
Images are a great accompaniment to written content adding to what Google describes as “a great user experience.” Here’s some SEO tips in the use of images and videos.
- Don’t embed important content/text into an image in places such as headings or menus as not everyone can access them
- When saving images to your website use a descriptive filename that is relevant to the content on the page and your keywords. So, rather than just automatically using file names like IMAG0007.jpg, use words like SEO-Search-Engine-Tips.jpg (or whichever subject you are writing about)
- Use relevant images with relevant text. If you’re writing about a particular car on your site, place an image of that car beside the text
- Use descriptive titles and captions with your images where possible.
The Use of Back Links
Google weighs up the popularity of your website in it's search engine equation. So, once your website is set - take the opportunity to promote the content on your website – via social media or alternative methods. The more unique and authentic back links directing back to your website the more popular and useful Google will consider your website.
So those are some of mine - well Google's - top SEO tips to businesses. You can find more indepth information via Google's guidelines booklet below - or just you know - GOOGLE IT.
NEED HELP CREATING A WEBSITE? DROP ME A LINE...